Sunday, March 4

March 4, 2018 - The Replacements - Shiftless When Idle (1981)



Paul Westerberg trashed some stuff at my college when the Replacements played there in 1987. I wish I could say I attended the show, but my brain was still in classic rock land at the time and I was therefore unfamiliar with most of their music. I probably knew a few of their songs, but nothing that made me think they were great. By the time I was older and wiser they had already broken up. My loss.

Shiftless When Idle is from their first album, Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take out the Trash!, which also features such tunes as I Bought a Headache and Kick Your Door Down. Bassist Tommy Stinson was around 15 when they recorded it. Amazing. The song opens with a great riff and drums, somewhat akin to Dr. Feelgood's She Does It Right. Straight ahead rock n roll to inspire drinking and breaking things.

Image result for the replacements 1981 band


No comments:

Post a Comment