Friday, March 2

March 2, 2018 - Buzzcocks - I Don't Mind (1978)


I Don't Mind is probably my favorite song by Buzzcocks, followed by Nostalgia, Lipstick, Everybody's Happy Nowadays, and ESP (no guitar solo, just a lick that plays over and over and over...). Boundless energy, layers of crunchy buzzsaw power chords, clever quick poetic lyrics with no time for solos. I mean, Pete Shelley only has 2:20 to get all those words out. He sprints through verse verse middle eight verse extended middle eight (with guitar accompaniment) verse. Punk Power Pop.

The main hook of the song is the brief 'chorus' that leaps out at the end of each verse:
But if you don't mi-i-i-i-i-i-ind
I don't mi-i-i-i-i-i-ind
Pete Shelley's voice rides the the melismatic rapids with ease.


Image result for buzzcocks




No comments:

Post a Comment