Thursday, March 15

March 15, 2018 - Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band - Ella Guru (1969)



How many times have I played Trout Mask Replica in its entirety? More than likely, about five, and I haven't listened to it in its entirety for at least 15 years. That's going to change right now. Well, unfortunately I ran out of time and could not listen to it. Guess I'll see you in another 15, Trout Mask Replica. No, wait! I am listening to it now...I am on track #6, Moonlight in Vermont. I am going to have to pause it briefly in order to eat dinner, but I will resume afterwards, while writing this and watching the NCAA tourney. I mean, I can't just sit here and listen, I have to do other things to alleviate the musical weight of this album.It's now 8pm and I am in the home stretch. What an experience. It's like a David Lynch film, Blue Velvet or Eraserhead. Especially the cover...really strange.

On the surface, it is a jumble of experimental weirdness, deep rough moaning vocals, guitars scratching out riffs in sections that fill in spaces like a puzzle that will never be solved. It's completely bizarre, but also an artistic statement of the highest order. Ella Guru is my favorite song on the album, followed closely by Frownland, Moonlight in Vermont, and When Big Joan Sets Up. If this music freaks you out, well, that's supposed to happen.

Image result for captain beefheart magic band 1969


No comments:

Post a Comment