Sunday, March 18

March 18, 2018 - Black Flag - Depression (1981)


Depression opens with twenty-three seconds of 'Iron Man' sludge, the time it might take for a person on the edge of insanity to smash his fist into a mirror, notice the physical pain that temporarily supplants his emotional trauma, study the blood and glass for a few seconds, stare at the now distorted stranger in front of him, then rage at the top of his lungs.

That's one possible daydream, under a slate-grey blanket pulled over a weekend afternoon.

Henry Rollins revs it up at 0:24:

Sitting here, all by myself
I ain't got no one else
The situation is bleeding me
There's no relief for a person like me

Greg Ginn's speed demon guitar roars alongside him, get on your feet and let that energy out, purge the anger and frustration. If you feel like smashing a mirror, well OK, but maybe jumping around would be a better release.

Later:

Everybody just get away
I'm gonna boil over inside today
They say things are gonna get better
All I know is they fuckin' better

Wow, intense. Listening to Black Flag can be very therapeutic. I feel much better. To the mirrors of the world I say, "reflect without fear. I shall not attack you."










No comments:

Post a Comment