Thursday, February 11

February 11, 2016 - Desmond Dekker - Israelites (1968)


I cannot hear this song without thinking of its use in the film Drugstore Cowboy. (please read Roger Ebert's review, it is really good). I believe it's the scene that shows them driving across rain-washed country roads, trying to stay a step ahead of the law. I loved Israelites immediately, especially the guitar scale that ends the chorus (e.g., 0:32), it seemed comically out of place to me, it went in this direction that wasn't completely unexpected but seemed unusual, it felt awkward in a playful way. Plus there's this weird low voice moaning right before that so I'm already about to laugh. Anyhow, totally cool guitar riff. Plus, the opening rhythm gets your ears set up but then it drops into rocksteady territory. Throughout all of this, Desmond Dekker's voice is amazing, that soulful sharp stiletto falsetto sounds so pure, like cool water.

No comments:

Post a Comment