Wednesday, September 21

September 21, 2016 - The Band - Chest Fever (1968)


Wow, the first time I heard the organ that opens Chest Fever I was freaked out. I am not sure when it happened, but I know I was in high school. It was either on the "nine at nine" radio show or at the Garcia's house. But man, that tone is like a musical foghorn blowing a storm towards you from a mile out at sea. Garth Hudson, wow.

The organ opening lasts until about 0:30, then the drums and the rest of the instruments come in. Robbie Robertson wrote the principle four note motif, something like E-F#-A-G#.  Richard Manuel and Levon Helm supposedly improvised the lyrics, vaguely telling a story about a man who gets sick after he is rejected by a woman he loves.

Whatever, for me this song is basically all about the organ. Garth plays a great solo after the three minute mark, just twisting it all over the place. Fantastic.
Image result for the band 1968







1 comment: