Tuesday, September 20

September 20, 2016 - Bob Marley & the Wailers - Lively Up Yourself (1974)



Lively up yourself and don't be no drag...OK, Bob, if you insist. This is the first track on the Natty Dread album, but I have it on the Songs of Freedom box set, which I bought at Rose Records in Evanston, Illinois, in the cold winter of early 1993. Putting on this music is like throwing another log on the fire. Like a reviewer wrote on amazon, 'it's probably the best box set I will ever own.' I especially love the booklet, with that great photo of Bob and Rita Marley with Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer.

The song itself is a funky reggae get up and get with it party tune. Awesome bass from Aston Barrett and guitar from Al Anderson. I love Bob's vocals throughout, delivered perfectly, especially the many parts that sound improvised, like at 1:54: "...am I tryin to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so........yeah." Beautiful.

Hey, you hear what the man say?

Image result for songs of freedom photo bob rita tosh bunny

Image result for bob marley wailers 1975


No comments:

Post a Comment