Monday, September 19

September 19, 2016 - Blue Öyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper (1976)





Is there a more romantic death song than Don't Fear the Reaper? Buck Dharma sings it like a lullaby, calm and easy. Death is a natural occurrence, and belief in an afterlife can make a person less afraid of it. They may even run to it.

Classic guitar riff, anyone who plays rock guitar has probably practiced it at some point in their lives. And of course there is the COWBELL! That SNL sketch was so brilliant, Christopher Walken 'The Bruce Dickinson.' Yeah, the cowbell is fairly non-stop but it's low in the mix and often falls into a sonic blind spot so it tunes in and out of my consciousness. I think I almost typed couscousness there, ha ha that's what I was thinking...weird.

The guitar solo is pretty classic as well. Sometimes I wish they hadn't let the last note sustain so far into the verse, but not a deal breaker, Blue Öyster Cult. What a great name for a band. When I was younger, I thought they were scary, based on the cover of the 45 I had of Burnin for You. Ha ha, these guys are goofy. Where does one find blue oysters anyhow? Or is it a blue cult that worships oysters? Or does an umlaut over the 'o' mean something entirely different? Talk amongst yourselves.
Image result for blue oyster cult 1976

No comments:

Post a Comment