Wednesday, August 31

August 31, 2016 - David Bowie - Quicksand (acoustic demo) (1971)


This is the acoustic demo version of Quicksand, which is a bonus track on the Rykodisc issue of Hunky Dory from 1990. It is a lost treasure, unless it still exists on some other reissue I don't know about. I have always found it so hauntingly beautiful, fragile, spiritual. Just strummed guitar and vocals, but the effect is fantastic. It has a sad, tender, lost quality to it. Bowie sings the dark self-questioning lyrics with a tired resignation...I ain't got the power anymore. Bowie's brilliant otherworldly spirit shines out on the part that begins 'Don't believe in yourself...' Makes me feel a bit distressed when I hear it, sends a tingle up the spine.

Image result for david bowie 1971

No comments:

Post a Comment