Thursday, August 11

August 11, 2016 - Thin Lizzy - The Boys are Back in Town (1976)


I've loved this song since I was nine years old and heard it being blasted out of a high school neighbor's bedroom window during the summer of 1976. I was often in the vicinity of that house, playing with other kids, and there was always a radio on somewhere. It was also the first time I was exposed to that earsore known as the Carpenters' Top of the World. This song was so smooth and syrupy I felt completely awkward listening to it and was forced to laugh out loud to stop myself from freaking out (for which I was shushed and frowned at by these 11 year old girls). Yes, unfortunately I suffer from music sensitivity syndrome.

The Boys Are Back in Town is a straight up rock classic. It features the twin lead guitars of Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson, bass and lead vocals by the late great ultra-talented Dubliner Phil Lynott. Look him up on youtube, there are at least two pretty cool documentaries about him. Lyrically and vocally, it always felt to me like an American Bruce Springsteen New Jersey kind of song, to wit:

And that time over at Johnny's place,
Well, this chick got up and she slapped Johnny's face
Man, we just fell about the place
If that chick don't want to know, forget her
 
I just picture Miller Lite neon signs and Chevys and baseball on the tv...down at Dino's, ya know? Hey, fuhgitaboutit.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment