Thursday, August 18

August 18, 2016 - Pastor T.L. Barrett & the Youth for Christ Choir - Like A Ship (1971)


This amazing tune is from the compilation album of various artists called Good God! Born Again Funk, released on the cool Numero Group label. I was mesmerized when I first heard it. The album called Like A Ship was released by the Light in the Attic label. Pastor Barrett has had a long and influential life with some ups and downs, but he is apparently still preaching and singing at his Chicago church.

Like A Ship features the Youth for Christ choir, their voices giving strength to the testimony of the pastor. The electric piano/regular piano shimmer, the bass and shakers/sleigh bells groove, and a layer of reverb sends the uplifting voices echoing all around the room, through the ceiling and up to the sky. Handclaps come in near the end at 4:15, excellent drum fill at 4:21. I would have loved going to a church like this when I was a kid. I would go to church now if I was guaranteed this kind of music.



No comments:

Post a Comment