Saturday, August 20

August 20, 2016 - The Velvet Underground - I Heard Her Call My Name (1968)


Want more noise? After yesterday's tune, you might not, but I Heard Her Call My Name just happens to be next in line...nothing I can do about it, folks. Talk to the computer. I started buying Velvet Underground albums in 1985. So the ones I bought were those reissues with the Kurt Loder liner notes. He wrote that this song "featured one of the most withering guitar flipouts in the history of the instrument." I had to hear it.

He wasn't kidding...it's like some kind of primal scream therapy. This is what happens when you feel your mind split open. Lou Reed was forced to go through electroconvulsive therapy as a teenager, so he knew all about that. I love all this guitar squealing, it's fine if my mind splits open (a little). And if you think this guitar is insane, keep following the blog. I will be posting a song waaaay further on up the road that will make this one seem like a lullaby.

No comments:

Post a Comment