Saturday, August 13

August 13, 2016 - Trip Shakespeare - Applehead Man (1986)


For many years in the late 80s and early 90s, Trip Shakespeare was the band that dominated my life. I first saw them in 1988 while at college in St Louis and was mesmerized by their performance. I saw them many times after that, in St Louis, Chicago, Milwaukee, and Madison. I joined their fan club and I still have all their newsletters. They had great three-part harmonies, twin guitar attacks, heavy rockers and beautiful ballads. They had a big cult following. After four albums they called it quits. Dan Wilson and John Munson formed Semisonic and achieved global fame on the basis of the song Closing Time.

Applehead Man is the title track from their first album. It has a raw simplicity that appeals to me, a cool guitar hook, great guitar solo, and a fake ending. Matt Wilson composed the tune, which tells the story of an apple, 'furthest from the road', that gets carved into an applehead man and laments his condition to all his 'apple friends.'







No comments:

Post a Comment