Wednesday, August 10

August 10, 2016 - Radiohead - Subterranean Homesick Alien (1997)


I was not a fan of Radiohead's radio hit Creep. It reminded me too much of the Hollies' Air That I Breathe. I was also dismissive of their second album, The Bends. I probably thought Thom Yorke's vocals were too whiny. I was really into the first Oasis album, and Trainspotting (Robert Carlyle as Begbie!) and its soundtrack, but as far as that 90s Brit Pop movement went, Radiohead were nothing special to me.

This all changed when OK Computer came out and I read a review of it in Q magazine, the same issue that introduced me to the great new albums from Portishead and Cornershop. Airbag was something exciting and different. I loved the whole album. Lots of people did. It was a magical recording.

My favorite Radiohead song is Subterranean Homesick Alien. I really like the keyboards, especially this early moment at 0:33 during the first verse. Just a little chord jammed in there. Jonny Greenwood's fingerprints are all over this song, from the keys to the guitars and effects. He's the Man.

I also like the sci-fi theme, about a guy who lives in a dreary town and wishes aliens would swoop down and take him away on their spaceship.

No comments:

Post a Comment