Wednesday, August 24

August 24, 2016 - Yol Aularong - Jeas Cyclo (1969?)


I remember when I first heard this song. I was like, what the heck is this guy going on about? I thought he was saying something like 'It's Closed!' You know, get lost!

This is just how the song begins. It quickly turns into this ramshackle garage rock lo-fi organ and guitar adventure. Jeas Cyclo...so that's what they're saying! The crazy guitar and organ are climbing all over each other in the middle passage that goes from 1:09 - 2:00. Then the opening voice comes back, but this time he's saying, I don't know, 'Bot tray', 'Bots dal', 'flo stob'...perhaps the cyclo ride is experiencing some mechanical issues? Nope...we are back and running again. Like Moonage Daydream, we are going to ride a wild guitar off into the sunset, but this time we are traveling a bumpy dirt road. It's an adventurous final 1:30 of crazy wah wah flips, jumps and loop the loops. Vroom Vroom.

According to an article in the NY Times, Yol Aularong was a 'charismatic proto-punk who mocked conformist society.' Sadly, we will never know too much about him...this reminds me, if you have not yet seen it, go out and watch the documentary called 'Don't Think I've Forgotten', all about the  amazing rock music scene that thrived in Cambodia during the 60s and 70s.

No comments:

Post a Comment