Friday, October 14

October 14, 2016 - Cornershop - We're In Yr Corner (1997)


Punjabi is the 10th most spoken language in the world. So, you'd think finding a translation of this song on the internet would be easy. If you find one, please let me know. All I could find was another person bemoaning its nonexistence. Maybe the lyrics are Punjabi nonsense words?

One of the three fantastic albums I bought in South Korea that were released in 1997 was Cornershop's When I was Born for the 7th Time. Great album. I had read a review...in Q...bought it new...then I flew...back to Sangju...to...listen to...it. I liked the idea of Indian music with a modern sampled DJ twist on it. Sitars and breakbeats, bring it on.

We're In Yr Corner is the best of the album. Sitars and cymbals...Hanji (google translate says it means Hanji in English...hey google, what are we paying you for?) Drums and sitars and finger cymbals, Indian instruments are so psychedelic...why is that? Not because of the Beatles, the instruments are just naturally trippy. The tones feel so ancient, magical and mysterious; you tune in on a spiritual level automatically.

I always thought the first lyrics were 'marijuana shout it come on and wanna shout it.' But, the almighty google says it's Mar, mar osharle Ekuh, oshart mar, mar. Whatever, the vocals are cool so let's just enjoy the sounds and not worry about what's what. Tjinder Singh does mention IBM and Coca-Cola, and says the m-----f--ker word too at 3:31, yeah get those corporate douches off our land.

The final two minutes are an East meets West jam. It all dissolves into a cloud of smoke in some Peshawari opium den. Or so I imagine.

Image result for cornershop band 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment