Sunday, October 2

October 3, 2016 - Talking Heads - The Big Country (1978)


Bill Janovitz wrote a great review of The Big Country on allmusic.com. The slide guitar from Jerry Harrison is my favorite part of the song, from some reason it makes me think of a laid back air raid siren. The narrator is on an airplane, commenting on the things he sees on the ground and imagining what the people are doing down there. It all sounds quaint and peaceful: baseball diamonds, houses, farmland, simple lives. But he's certainly not coming to raid them. He doesn't want anything to do with them:

I wouldn't live there if you paid me.
I couldn't live like that, no siree!
I couldn't do the things the way those people do.
I couldn't live there if you paid me to.


In spite of this sentiment, you can't help feeling sorry for this guy; he seems so lonely up there in the clouds, so removed from this sort of life, he would envy them if he were able to comprehend it.

Image result for talking heads 1978

No comments:

Post a Comment