Wednesday, October 5

October 5, 2016 - The Beatles - A Day in the Life (1967)


A Day in the Life flows right out of Sgt Pepper's (Reprise) so you get a few seconds of the audience fade out as the gently strummed guitar enters. Majestic piano chords appear moments later. Then John Lennon's dreamy vocals come in on the first verse: I read the news today, oh boy, accompanied by light piano, maracas, and bass.

He blew his mind out in a car is a continuation of the first news story, and right after this line at 0:48 Ringo comes in with a dramatic drum fill, and he continues to fill in the spaces through the end of the verse.

After I'd love to turn you on at the end of the verse about seeing a film, the orchestra appears for the mind-blowing ascent into the clouds. Then we get Paul's nifty little woke up fell out of bed section. Jazzy piano lines.

One final verse about 4,000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire, and then another epic orchestral maneuver, and we get to the final giant piano chord fadeout. The weird inner groove part is attached to the end of the song, which I wish wasn't there because it sometimes freaks me out to no end. There I am, all relaxed as the giant chord dissipates, then I get the shock of whatever it is..."I never could be any other way" or something. Ughh, be quiet! Leave me alone!

I am often amazed by this song, like I almost can't believe anyone could create such a transcendent piece of music. It sits there at the end of the Sgt Pepper album in its own space, separate from the previous songs.. It is the room at the top, that you need a special code to enter. Truly a work of master craftsmen.

Image result for beatles 1967


No comments:

Post a Comment