Thursday, July 7

July 7, 2016 - Squeeze - Pulling Mussels (From the Shell) (1980)


An energetic tune about the British working class shaking loose the chains and going off on a relaxing seaside holiday. The pulling mussels part is the young narrator getting lucky with a girl, making his holiday 'complete'.

In addition to the memorable lyrics, there are great slashing guitar chords, and from 1:45 - 2:36 we get a wonderful middle instrumental section. Guitar kicks it off, then at 2:00 it gets into this cool dueling one note groove, and at 2:14 Jools Holland begins a boogie woogie piano bop that hits the sweet spot at 2:31, reining it all in prior to the start of the next verse.

Squeeze were a band I never liked until after the fact. In retrospect. That whole hindsight is 20/20 thing. I think my friend Leslie liked them and I probably gave her grief for that. Well, I don't like everything they did, and the compilation CD I have, Singles - 45's and Under, is probably enough.'Tempted', 'If I didn't Love You', those are a couple of other tunes I like.




No comments:

Post a Comment