Friday, July 15

July 15, 2016 - Grateful Dead - Ripple (1970)


Such a special magical song, Ripple can make me smile and cry at the same time. It's happy and sweet, but it's sad in an introspective and esoteric way. It is a gift, something to cherish, a pick me up, a candle in the darkness. I can imagine Frodo humming this tune in the Shire or in the darkest depths of Mordor. It has healing powers. I remember it being used in the movie Mask during an emotionally heavy scene. That's the happy sad effect of the tune, it gets right there between the emotions like a see saw.

Lyrics by Robert Hunter, music by Jerry Garcia. David Grisman plays the sweet little mandolin parts. My favorite line is the last one: 'If I knew the way I would take you home.' It ends with a happy la da da da singalong.




No comments:

Post a Comment