Sunday, March 6

March 6, 2016 - Cream - Tales of Brave Ulysses (1967)


"Tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers..." Yeah, OK...Martin Sharp. He wrote the lyrics, Eric Clapton wrote the music. The song is from the psychedelic blues rock masterpiece, Disraeli Gears. Sharp also did the cover art for this album. He was also really interested in Tiny Tim.(?!) How come I never knew any of this stuff !!! I always just liked the song and only found out about Martin Sharp just now.

Strange Brew, World of Pain, Sunshine of your Love, all great tunes, but this is my favorite Cream song. It has some great wah wah pedal and heavy rock 7th chords, murky feel to it, Jack Bruce spewing these stream of consciousness words. Really, those lyrics! 'His naked ears were tortured'...I figured since Ulysses (Odysseus for all you Romans out there) was a guy I'd read about in school, then this meant something to me. But I never knew the Martin Sharp thing. Pretty cool, nice to learn something new!

Martin Sharp:

No comments:

Post a Comment