Wednesday, March 23

March 23, 2016 - The Velvet Underground - Sunday Morning (1967)


I remember seeing The Velvet Underground and Nico album in The Book of Lists as one of the top twenty albums ever. I am sure I thought it was odd that I had never heard any of their songs on the radio, especially if this was such an important record. I felt the same way when I first heard Love's 'Forever Changes' album. Corporate radio basically sucks because most stations never play any of these songs on a regular basis. They might show up on some fringe programming. A n y h o w . When the VU's albums were reissued in the 80s I bought a couple at a Chicago record store. The first time I heard Sunday Morning I was probably a bit nervous. The opening xylophone made me wonder if it were a children's lullaby. Lou Reed sings it so sweetly, I was like what's the big deal about this supposedly nefarious band? Then I heard the rest of the album.... Thinking about it now, this is like a negative photo of a Sunday morning. It is Sunday morning in bizarro world. I think this song might be about recovering from crazy Saturday nights, or possibly worry about the pressures of Monday (watch out the world's behind you!), but it does have a nostalgic longing to it, like remember when you were young and Sunday mornings were different? My favorite parts are the lines 'I've got a feelin I don't want to know' and 'it's all the streets you crossed not so long ago.' Lou plays a nice little guitar solo, and Nico adds some interesting vocal expressions near the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment