Saturday, June 30

June 30, 2018 - Melody's Echo Chamber - I Follow You (2012)


Well, what do you know, a song from this century! The only reason I know about Melody's Echo Chamber is because their debut album was produced by Kevin Parker, leader of the great Australian group Tame Impala. MEC is the main project of la femme de France, Melody Prochet. This morning I watched France defeat Argentina in the World Cup. Toutes nos félicitations! Plus, my first employers were from France, and I'm part French as well. And I love French Fries! Oui! But I don't like French Onion soup. Sacrebleu.

The first track on the album is the fantastic I Follow You. The opening guitar passage is pretty cool and easy to play. Triplets: acf (F) - abf (FMb5) - gbe (Em) - fad (F6) - gbe (Em) - gad - egc (C) - efg. The drums come in at 0:11 and create a slight shift in the rhythmic awareness, and at 0:21 Melody's ethereal voice arrives from dreamland. She sings about the vulnerability of a new relationship, unsure if her feelings are reciprocated. She sounds confused but hopeful, analyzing every situation. The music shimmers, Kevin Parker showering it with layers of reverb and guitars. Parker himself plays the gurgling, scratchy phaser effect guitar solo at 2:55 that leads to the fade out. 

Image result for melody's echo chamber 



No comments:

Post a Comment