Tuesday, June 12

June 11, 2018 - Jethro Tull - Living in the Past (1969)


In 1974, Jethro Toe Tull released a song called Bungle in the Jungle that used animal sounds in an effort to create a wild jungle atmosphere. They tried, but failed (I really don't like the song). For a more effortless and natural jungle feel, check out Living in the Past.

It opens with claves and bass in a 5/4 time signature. The flute and guitar come in at 0:04 and the environment becomes a cool Brazilian wilderness: dark green leafy canopies, slow-moving tree snakes, eyes that silently observe from the branches, pith helmets and fanged jaguars. When Ian Anderson starts singing at 0:40, he is happy and smiling because he has walked miles to reach an oasis of cool water, tasty food, tropical birds, friendly faces, and serenity. I am reminded somewhat of the music of Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66. I don't know, it has that kind of samba feel to it.

Living in the Past is a good theme song for this blog. That's where I live when it comes to the music I know and love. The Past! Ask me to name a song by Ed Sheeran, Maroon 5, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Drake, The Weeknd, Bruno Mars, Twenty-One Pilots, or even Lady Gaga, and I would have no clue. It's not that I don't like these people, I simply have no idea what they sound like. If, by coincidence, I have actually heard one of their songs, it certainly didn't make a lasting impression. Honestly, I don't feel that I'm missing much. Don't get me wrong, I believe there are many great contemporary musical artists out there, but they will likely never be on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine.

There's nothing wrong with living in the past, unless it has to do with clowns.

Image result for jethro tull 1969

No comments:

Post a Comment