Friday, December 2

December 2, 2016 - The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Hear My Train A Comin' (1968)



This version of Hear My Train A Comin' is from the album The Jimi Hendrix Concerts. It was recorded at Winterland, in San Francisco, on October 10, 1968. It is my favorite live recording of his, since the first time I heard it. Unfortunately, this particular version is not available on youtube, due to copyright issues, so I made my own video for it using Windows Movie Maker. I posted it on youtube, but the it was removed. I hope it doesn't get pulled here and I don't get banned from blogger.

It feels somewhat similar to Voodoo Chile, but without Steve Winwood's organ. As Jimi says prior to beginning the song, 'it's nothin but a jam.' His opening guitar riff sets the table, and I love it when Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell come in at around 0:35. The bass has this great full bottom tone and it really locks into a groove from which Jimi takes off on the guitar. It's a slow blues that hits its stride around the three minute mark, when Jimi begins his solo. I especially love the solo from the 3:55 point on, and those pitch bends from 4:21-4:30 are something else. From there he just goes into the stratosphere. Genius. After 5:30 he does that thing where he plays the same notes on the guitar that he's singing. Come back and buy this town...and put it all in my shoe. He ends it all with a snippet of First Call...and the horses are on the track.




Image result for jimi hendrix 1968

No comments:

Post a Comment