Wednesday, May 4

May 4, 2016 - Mahmoud Ahmed - Nafqot New Yegodagn (1973)


I love Mahmoud Ahmed, please go out and find the Ethiopiques vol 6 and 7 albums, they are so good. I was extremely happy to see him in Portland a few years ago. An Ethiopian soul music legend.

This song starts off with happy bouncy horns, then Mahmoud comes in with his intense vocals pushing the meter into the red, sometimes they threaten to reach through the speakers and grab you. According to the liner notes, the title means 'Missing you hurts'. The lyrics are very sweet, the first lines translate as:

When I face unhappiness alone
It is missing you that hurts
To be hungry and thirsty is no shame
But my head is spinning from wandering
It's because I loved you and I miss you

Excellent saxophone solo in the middle there, gets to make a couple rounds through the music. Rhythm guitar chugs along throughout.





No comments:

Post a Comment