Tuesday, May 10

May 10, 2016 - Tokyo Kid Brothers - Track 01 (1971)


If not for my music history instructor, Mr. Cope, I would not know this song. I would not know a lot of great music if I had not become a fan of his 25 years ago. Thanks, Julian!

I have no idea what this song is about or if it has a real title, but it is from a musical called Throw Away the books let's go into the streets, a sort of Japanese 'Hair' aimed at teens. There is a movie version in existence, I have seen clips but never the whole film. Here we have a two-part song. The first minute plus starts right off with a heavy two chord guitar and organ jam, filled with sing-shouting Japanese vocals. I like the 'hey!' at 0:26. At  1:11 the organ slows down into this sweet, contemplative choral section that lasts until the end. The guitarist picks out a nice progression and the organ grooves along. The primary vocal passage builds up with harmonic layers as individual voices pass in and out around it. It fades out like we are heading off on a long voyage until we disappear over the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment