Friday, May 13

May 13, 2016 - Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey (1975)


I first heard Winston Rodney, aka Burning Spear, on the compilation album Harder Than The Best. This song sort of shocked me at first, since I did not know much about reggae at the time, other than Bob Marley. It has a trumpet on it, which felt strangely out of place, I was surprised when I first heard it burst out of the speakers, but still very cool. And then you've got the beautifully idiosyncratic voice of Burning Spear, hovering around the beat, sounding childlike and ancient at the same time. I always thought he was singing 'Where is Barbara Wyett, he's nowhere to be found...' but I figured this was wrong because Barbara is a woman's name. Then I thought he was saying 'Barb Wire'. Apparently, it's 'Bag a wire'. I and I have a hard time hearing the Burning Spear lyrics, mon. It is cause I live ina babylon.

No comments:

Post a Comment