Wednesday, January 6

January 6, 2016 - The Smiths - Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want (1984)

Image result for smiths

The narrator reminds me of Jimmy Stewart on the bridge asking to have his life back in It's a Wonderful Life. He is begging, please please...please. How about some good times for once, let me dream again. He says, "let me get what I want. Lord knows, it would be the first time."  It could be interpreted as 'Waaa, I never get what I want!!' Stomping his feet. But what heartless person could be so presumptive. Nah. Based on the beautiful music accompanying the story, I pretty much have to accept that this guy is suffering. Someone buy him a decent meal for cryin out loud. Heck, I have no idea what he wants. Maybe his mom is having surgery and he wants her to be OK. Maybe he was fired from his job. He really wanted a puppy for his birthday and didn't get one. sniff.

Towards the end of the song, the shimmering rainbow of mandolin appears and either pushes you over the emotional waterfall or rescues you like a light at the end of a tunnel. According to wikipedia, Morrissey has been known to cry during this part when the song is played live. Every time Morrissey cries, an angel gets its wings. Attaboy, Clarence.


3 comments:

  1. Awesome review..."Merry Christmas you ol" Building and Loan!" and to you too Zsu Zsu, and I have not even heard the song.

    I don't really know a great deal of the Smith's, but back in college a Frat Bro of mine who had moved out of the House received Smiths Live-OK I am not sure that was the title-so I played it-kinda of a lot. I was really attached the "Cemetery Gates"-though M sang Sem A Tree, which was totally Mod, and I really could not decipher the rest of lyrics-which means I likely made up my own :)

    I stayed away from other recordings though-at the time their was an unspoken rivalry between Cure boosters and Smiths heads. Being blinded by too much eye liner and black lipstick I just could not get any moodier. Plus the utilitarian, fuzzy focused album covers made me as uneasy as watching Blue Velvet.

    After hearing this it does seem a familiar, very atmospheric-somehow it reminds me of "Killing an Arab." the mandolin sounds like a similar Greek instrument giving this song an ethno flavour (U intended)I imagine people gathering around listening to Morrissey sing and being fed up with him moaning, but as mentioned the music is heavenly and spirited.

    Cool man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark, thanks for posting this lovely song! Here's to all those who have wanted a puppy for their birthday...but didn't get one. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea! Cheers to you, Kate! This is one of the rare Smiths songs that I feel Morrissey's sadness isn't contrived and fake. He's so mopey in his songs, like I had to get a job and no one understand my pain, and yeah go to that party but it's gonna suck, you know. But they are such great songs and Morrissey's woe is me is so charming.

      Delete