Wednesday, January 27

January 27, 2016 - The Beatles - Paperback Writer (1966)


Sometime around 1978 my Mom got me the Red album and Doug got the Blue Album, or at least that is how we adopted them. I used to sit in our comfy brown swivel chair next to the stereo with the
headphones on and read the lyrics and look at the gatefold photo. I'd sit there and wonder how the one kid got to be on the other side of the fence. And the kid in the middle looked sad and kind of out of place, but he seemed pretty cool, too. I always liked how Ringo was at kid height, all hunkered down. The lyrics to the songs were printed on the sleeves, so you could follow along. I really liked Paperback Writer because it told a story and I liked books, and it wasn't about girls and all that hold your hand stuff. The way the vocals cascade all over themselves from the top, and the way they echo around after writererererer....so trippy .The guitar riff is great, but i don't think I appreciated it at the time. I could also imagine the Monkees doing this one, my favorite lunch time entertainers. Anyhow, it's a fun Paul song. I don't think John would have written a song that began with 'Dear Sir or Madam.'

1 comment:

  1. I neglected to mention that I prefer the mono version of this song. The echo on 'writererer...' is slightly trippier than stereo version.

    ReplyDelete