Saturday, January 2

January 2, 2016 - Bert Jansch - Birthday Blues (1969)







Bert Jansch was best known by me for the longest time as the guy who played "Blackwaterside", which Jimmy Page converted to "Black Mountain Side". It was too many years later when I finally discovered his other pieces. I am so glad that I was able to see him play live, too bad it was only once.

This is the sweetest album cover ever. The instrumental is also pretty darn sweet. Short and sweet. It consists of two equal length halves, one cheerful, and one sad. It's almost like "Well, what do you know? It's my birthday!" followed by "Well no one came to see me, but I have my puppy to cheer me up." I really love the moments when the low string and the higher strings are slightly out of sync, not played at exactly the same time. (Perhaps this is called something?)

favorite moments:
0:06 - cool little descending bass line.


No comments:

Post a Comment