Tuesday, January 26

January 26, 2016 - Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song (1970)


Here's the deal...I heard this song on the radio when I was a freshman in high school. I didn't know what it was called, as Led Zeppelin often has song titles that aren't mentioned in the lyrics. I probably thought the song was called 'The land of ice and snow'. I should have asked C. DePinto, that kid knew about LZ, at least he told me this other song I liked was called 'Fool in the Rain.' That Christmas, my grandmother bought me Led Zeppelin III. However, the vinyl was so warped that the needle bounced right off when the first song on the album started to play. I still didn't know that the song was 'Immigrant Song', since I couldn't listen to the record. I had to go back to the record store to return it. So did I just exchange it for another copy? Noooo...stupid me decided to get 'Coda' on cassette and keep the change. I probably ended up eventually getting LZIII through Columbia Record and Tape Club. I allowed 4-6 weeks for delivery, I'm sure.

This is a song to inspire the Viking in all of us. Robert Plant's opening cries are frightening - look out world, here we come to pillage and plunder! I love the bass lines during the 'on we sweep with threshing oar' part. Valhalla, I am coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment