Thursday, December 13

November 19, 2018 - Deerhunter - He Would Have Laughed (2010)


He Would Have Laughed is all about the repetitive opening pattern and little synth tiptoes dancing about. I am not too familiar with Deerhunter, wouldn't be surprised if they are labeled 'indie' artists by the music marketers of the world. The guy's vocals have that cold reverb indie affectation. Not to say I don't like the song, I think it's pretty cool. I love the lyric I can't breathe with you lookin at me. Makes me think of how I have a hard time in public restrooms if people are waiting. I can't pee with you standing there impatiently.

Lots of sound layers spread over the bread like an indie rock sandwich with a smooth little 10CC vocal butter. I love the post-4:42 slowdown. Guitars play some cool progressions. Lyrics all esoteric:

I lived on a farm
I never lived on a farm

The song was apparently dedicated to a musician named Jay Reatard. I am unfamiliar with him, but someone made a documentary.

Image result for deerhunter 2010





No comments:

Post a Comment