Tuesday, July 31

July 30, 2018 - My Bloody Valentine - Come In Alone (1991)


The very first song I ever heard by My Bloody Valentine was Soon, which is a shoegaze classic. I went to a record store in Evanston, IL, to find the album, Loveless, and the hipper than everyone High Fidelity store employee acted like he knew about them before any other member of the public. What a maroon.

I like the edgy compactness of Come In Alone. It is an instant tidal wave of sound coming straight at you, a relentless piledriver. I wonder how many guitar tracks were used on this recording, there seem to be so many layers. There are also various looped parts, like that whistling keyboard sound. MBV were known for guitarist Kevin Shields' disorienting tremolo technique - applying slight pitch bends to create a sense of uncertainty and potential nausea. Bilinda Butcher's vocals are ethereal and generally indecipherable, becoming just another instrument in the mix.

Image result for my bloody valentine 1991




No comments:

Post a Comment