Wednesday, October 3

September 30, 2018 - Butthole Surfers - I Saw an X-Ray of a Girl Passing Gas (1988)


Here's some trivia for you. Butthole Surfers lead singer Gibby Haynes and guitarist Paul Leary both attended Trinity University in Texas at the same time as Bob West, the voice of TV's Barney the purple dinosaur. I love you, you love me, let's get together and be crazy.

The name of a song alone is not enough to be included on the blog, I have standards after all. I Saw an X-Ray of a Girl Passing Gas is an amazing title, but it's also a great tune. The lyrics...hmmm:

Ten foot tall and the nurse stuck a needle in my arm
Well Uncle Doc's nurse use a needle with ungodly charm
Walkin' down the hall the dentist LOOMED through the door
I Saw an X-Ray of a girl passing gas


How would this guy see such an x-ray? And is he ten feet tall or is the nurse? Let's not go there.

It's pretty much straightforward rock. Heavy opening drums, then guitars. There are a bunch of moaning background voices, what sort of medical building is this? A distorted guitar arrives at 1:53, as Gibby seems to hallucinate about something that happened either just the other day or one hundred years before. This is pretty much how the rest of the song progresses, as one long guitar solo with a sound I think I probably had on my Zoom effects processor. The vocals become a series of moans and growls, as Gibby surfs away on a butthole.

Image result for butthole surfers 1988









No comments:

Post a Comment