Saturday, October 13

October 10, 2018 - Claude Debussy - Clair de lune (1905)


As you know, the revolution pancakes blog is dominated by rock and pop and some of their tangential forms. But I love all genres of music, so I felt like including a couple of my favorite classical pieces (the other one is coming up later this month).

Clair de lune is the ethereal third movement from Claude Debussy's Suite bergamasque, a piano suite he composed around 1890, but that he revised heavily before its publication in 1905.

The atmosphere is filled with tenderness and wonder, light and loneliness. I imagine a setting with moonlight in a garden on a soft summer evening, the stars twinkling up above and the moon full and bright. Among all this beauty is a certain melancholy. There is only one person here, not two or a group, although someone may be watching from a short distance. It is a time of quiet contemplation, and the moon is the perfect companion.

This is not a piece I listen to randomly or very often. I dial it up every now and then at the right time.

Image result for claude debussy 

No comments:

Post a Comment