Thursday, October 18

October 14, 2018 - The Allman Brothers Band - Whipping Post (1969)


My fantasy football team has me tied to the whipping post this season...the whipping goal post. To paraphrase:

There's no touchdown and he's injured.
And I don't know why, I let that running back make me a fool.
He can't run for yardage, wrecks my whole score.
Now he's got his leg on ice in the dressing room
He's fakin it when he says he's so sore...


This isn't a real story, my running backs just can't get it done. Plus I have Beckham Jr and Antonio Brown, who have been bland so far. But let's get back down to Georgia, I don't have any Atlanta players on my team so I think I'm safe. 

I gotta stay with this football motif, what kind of team do you think the Allman Brothers would be? I imagine this lineup:

Gregg QB
Jaimoe FB
Betts RB
Duane WR
Oakley TE
Trucks WR
The Roadies* (on back of Fillmore East cover) offensive line and defense. They can handle both sides no problem as long as there's a few cases of PBR on the sideline.
     *Red Dog at middle linebacker and center.

Whipping Post is sort of the Layla of the Allman Brothers Band. It's their cross to bear. Dreams is their Bell Bottom Blues. One Way Out is their Evil. Ah, I'm just goofing, going off on a tangent. Whipping Post rocks, no disrespect intended, it's part of loving music so much. See, that's part of the problem with the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. It's too freakin reverent. Rock n roll is a supremely moving art form, yes, but it's crazy and hilarious as well. I can only hope Mozart was as wild as Amadeus portrayed him.

Good Lord I feel like I'm dyin'...and Gregg hadn't even met Cher yet, I don't think. Maybe he was really a masochistic guy. Or else he was observing Sonny and Cher from afar and wrote it about Sonny? "I'll eventually share than pain with you, Bono," said Gregg...eventually. I have no idea.

Image result for allman brothers 1969

No comments:

Post a Comment