Friday, October 5

October 2, 2018 - Mobb Deep - Cradle to the Grave (1995)


If you've never listened to Mobb Deep's The Infamous, I recommend you try it. It's a trip into a scene from The Wire, which is as close as I've ever been to that reality. I grew up far removed from the subject matter. I saw Cabrini Green up close once and it was depressing and scary. My family occasionally drove by the Robert Taylor Homes on the highway. I can only imagine the daily violence, poverty, and desperation that exist in housing projects. The two members of Mobb Deep, Prodigy and Havoc, grew up in LeFrak and Queensbridge respectively, and they witnessed this life firsthand.

The Infamous is a frightening and haunting experience. There is nothing positive, no redemption, just endless struggle and fear. Cradle to the Grave has gritty beats, scratchy and unsettling sampled loops, and life or death lyrics. It's a story about police and guns and always running.

If you're interested in reading more about the album, this is a good track by track analysis from Prodigy and Havoc.

Image result for mobb deep 1995



No comments:

Post a Comment