Monday, January 29

January 29, 2018 - Chrome - Critical Mass (1979)


When I think of the industrial rock genre, about which I am not that knowledgeable, I visualize a dark and rainy Blade Runner-like atmosphere. I see images of factories, steel mills, smokestacks, garbage cans used for drums, what the music of Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids should have really sounded like. I also think of groups like Cabaret VoltaireEinstürzende Neubauten, Nine Inch Nails, and the influence of German groups like Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream.

Chrome are often described as pioneers of industrial rock. They definitely have the metallic drum sound and various machine noises scattered about that create that sort of landscape. However, Chrome sound more rock, because of the dominance of Helios Creed's guitar and all the effects he uses. OK, from what I've read, they are described as a post-punk group. Their songs take a punk template, then pile on layers of effects and noises with the vocals often gurgling electronically right below the surface.

Critical Mass is a perfect example of their sound. Heavy primal drums, distorted guitar chords, little beeps and blurps, phasing, and vocals that are modulated to an extent that make them difficult to comprehend. To me, the most amazing thing that I find hard to wrap my head around is the fact that this was released in 1979. I mean, Donna Summer, My Sharona, Michael Jackson, and the Bee Gees were big that year. Chrome were making these bizarre, non-commercial recordings that still sound fresh and modern. Timeless stuff, Mr. Peabody.


we do not smile...


Related image

No comments:

Post a Comment