Saturday, November 12

November 12, 2016 - Rush - Working Man (1974)


I think I first heard this song on the radio late one night, many years after I had first become aware of Rush through their Moving Pictures album. I had even heard 2112, so I still wonder why it took me so long to hear Working Man. Perhaps because the internet wasn't around yet?

Working Man is a brick fortress of 70s power trio rock. The opening guitar riff is like poured concrete, reinforced by industrial strength bass and drums. Similar to Light My Fire in that it follows the vocals-long instrumental-vocals pattern. Geddy Lee sings about the day to day pattern of a guy doing the typical 9-5 job. At 2:05, Geddy plays a descending bass line and the tempo kicks up into Alex Lifeson's guitar solo that lasts just long enough to enjoy a nice cold beer.

When a Cleveland radio station began playing it, many listeners thought it was a new Led Zeppelin song. Rush's first album is definitely in that vein, since Neil Peart hadn't yet joined to apply his PhD in Science Fiction lyrics. John Rutsey was their drummer. Man, I feel like Homer Simpson talking about Grand Funk Railroad and Mountain in the Homerpalooza episode. Stupid Millhouse asking to change the station. Those smug little brats are the ones with no taste. Par-tay? Lame. Classic rock rules.
Image result for rush 1974 rutsey

No comments:

Post a Comment