Friday, November 11

November 11, 2016 - The Doors - Light My Fire (1967)


I was thinking about the scene in the Oliver Stone film where Robby Krieger plays Light My Fire on  guitar for the rest of the group. Sorry, all I could find on youtube was this Italian dub. Krieger wrote most of the song, including the first verse and chorus. Jim Morrison wrote the verse that contained wallow in the mire and love become a funeral pyre. This is according to The Doors FAQ book.

The song opens with the crack of a drum followed by some baroque-esque keyboard from Ray Manzarek. The lyrics are bookends for the vast instrumental middle section that begins at 1:07 and lasts until 5:42 (about 65% of the song).

I like the little chord twist that happens after the second Come on baby light my fire, at 0:32. A relative of the piano chord change in Imagine. As far as the instrumental section goes, I enjoy the keyboard stuff but I am really into Robby's guitar. It comes in at 3:18 and has all kinds of cascading lines up and down the neck and interesting modal sequences. John Densmore's drums have some great moments of their own, little fills here and there, keeping it all grooving along.

It's a classic song, covered by many artists including Jose Feliciano, Shirley Bassey and Stevie Wonder.

Image result for doors 1967




No comments:

Post a Comment