Friday, February 2

February 2, 2018 - Takeshi Terauchi & the Blue Jeans - Aizu Bandaisan (1971)



Takeshi 'Terry" Terauchi is a Japanese surf rock guitarist who has been playing music since the 1950s. His music is similar to other groups like the Ventures (who have always been BIG in Japan), The Shadows, Dick Dale, and the Trashmen.

Aizu Bandaisan is a good example of his (and others) surf music instrumentals: lots of fast picking, whammy bar action, descending and ascending runs, accompanied by the other rhythm guitars, organ and drums. Almost all of his albums were exclusively released in Japan, and although his music is not super original, I think he deserves more attention. An anthology of his 60s and 70s output is available. I think you can find more of his music on youtube besides this one, so look around if you are curious.

He's now 79 years old and, I hope, still whammy-barring away somewhere.

Image result for takeshi terauchi


Image result for takeshi terauchi







6 comments:

  1. What fun. I kinda like fast guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely caught shades of The Ventures in there.
    One of the first records Jodie and I bought when we purchased our first stereo record player was by The Ventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool, Lee! I had the best of the ventures album on vinyl (I just checked and I still have it!). I used to play it over and over. Walk Don't Run and Hawaii Five-O are the classics, but my favorite was always Perfidia.

      Delete
  3. Wow, really liked this one! That album cover is pretty great, too. Definitely reminds me of the Ventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Becki! I had a feeling you might like this one.

      Delete