Monday, February 12

February 12, 2018 - The Germs - Lexicon Devil (1978)


The Germs were an influential LA punk rock band that existed in the late 70s. I checked out their compilation, (MIA): The Complete Anthology, from the library years ago, and Lexicon Devil became my favorite song from it. I only understood gimme gimme this gimme gimme that. The rest of the lyrics didn't matter to me, I just liked the voice and accepted whatever gibberish my brain translated, like "I'm a legend deadpool with a bad two friend searching for future the ruins my age." Close, but no cigar.

I eventually looked up the lyrics, which are pretty fascinating, but could never remember them the entire way through. The story is about a mad genius who wants to take over the world. From what I've read, writer and lead singer Darby Crash had an easy time getting his way and was fairly dictatorial, so he was probably writing about himself.

The guitar chords are identical to the vocal melody, making for catchy listening. Pat Smear puts in these nice pitch bends between chorus and verse. The drums are good, with fast little drum fills here and there.


Related image

No comments:

Post a Comment