Sunday, April 24

April 24, 2016 - The Doors - Touch Me (1968)


This is one of the two Doors songs my Dad was able to tolerate when I would play their records in the basement. I remember he said something about liking Jim Morrison's baritone. He may have also said it reminded him of a classic western balladeer. Being a trumpet player, he liked the orchestration as well. Mostly, I think my Dad thought the Doors were commie pinko trash, especially on songs like The End and When the Music's Over, but I am glad he liked this one.

Touch Me is a great song, it is breezy 60s orchestral pop that is unlike any other song they did. It begins with short staccato notes played in unison on the guitar, bass and organ, with John Densmore's swinging drums powering up chords that lead into the opening Come on come on come on....the horns come in, great arrangements. And of course, a fantastic outro blown into orbit by the outstanding saxophone solo from Curtis Amy, who was married to Merry Clayton, who sang on the Stones' Gimme Shelter and Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama. How many of you knew that? I sure didn't!

No comments:

Post a Comment