Friday, April 15

April 15, 2016 - Neil Young - Heart of Gold (1971)


The first time I knew about Heart of Gold was when my junior high music teacher had the class play it on the recorder. We also learned to play the theme from MASH and the theme from Ice Castles (yuck). I don't know how my poor teacher handled those high recorder note on 'i wanna live', must have produced a bunch of screeches throughout the room.

When I got a little older I started to hear the song on the radio. I liked it, and my music teacher earned some cool points for liking it and teaching it to us. During the harmonica and pedal steel passages, listen for the quieter strumming and picking of acoustic guitars hanging in their shadows, they are really sweet, especially out of the left speaker. And of course, enjoy the appearances of James Taylor and Linda Ronstadt near the end, a brilliant idea to do that.

1 comment: