Tuesday, November 13

November 5, 2018 - Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (1979)


I had K-Tel's compilation called Wings of Sound, one of my first albums. Released in 1980, I think I bought it at Kmart. I must have been 12. Of the 15 tracks, the only two I didn't like were Dylan's Gotta Serve Somebody, and France Joli's Come To Me. They were back to back, so I only had to lift the needle once.

The rest of the album was great: Little River Band's Lonesome Loser, Kenny Loggins' This Is It, Blondie's Dreaming, and two from Michael Jackson, Rock With You, and Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, both originally from his Off The Wall album. Back to back as well.

At the beginning of DSTYGE, Michael is muttering some stuff, I always imagine he's like 'so, I uh was wondering, uh, if you're uh not busy, maybe you'd uh like to go uh uh, I mean, etc etc.'. He's saying other stuff that I guess is supposed to be sexy, but in reality, Michael was more like, 'uh, I have lots of stuffed animals, and we can have ice cream and uh watch cartoons.'  I don't know, the guy was an enigma. But he could crank out the pop hits, he knew what sounded good.

Once the music starts, it doesn't stop (til it gets enough). There are so many little sounds bursting everywhere, it's like candyland for the ears. Everything is so funky and in its right place: strings, horns, little guitar licks, percussion, bass. Wrapped up so neatly. And his falsetto, wow. I never understood what he was singing, but it was great. RIP, MJ.

Image result for michael jackson 1979


1 comment:

  1. He eventually got enough and stopped, but before that, he introduced us to soul makoussa. Thanks Michael Jackson, now what about your sister, janet?

    ReplyDelete